I like to get my long runs over with in the morning so I don’t have to spend the whole day thinking about them. Chris had to leave by 7 today, so I made plans to meet a friend at 5:30. She could only run about 3 miles because she had to work, so I ran a mile to meet up, ran 3-ish miles with her, then ran as far as I could before Chris had to leave. I finished up on the treadmill.
Here are some facts about today’s long run:
Miles run outside – 9:22
Minutes run outside – 102
Average pace outside: 11:04
Miles run on the treadmill – 3.78
Minutes run on the treadmill – 39
Average pace on the treadmill – 10:42
Total miles – 13
Total minutes – 141 (2 hours, 21 minutes)
Combined average pace – 10:56
Swedish fish consumed – 9 (between miles 9-12)
Water consumed – about 8 ounces (also between miles 9-12)
Pieces of gear worn outside – 9 (head lamp, reflective vest, watch, Spibelt, arm band, iPod, earphones, phone, hand-held water bottle & holder)
Temperature at start – 42
Pieces of clothing worn outside – 8 (socks, tights, tank, long-sleeved shirt, headband, gloves, 2 undergarments)
Pairs of shoes worn – 2 (one outside, one inside)
Pieces of clothing worn inside – 4 (socks, 2 undergarments, shorts)
Podcasts listened to – 1.5 (For Crying Out Loud)
T.V. shows watched – just under 1 (Gilmore Girls)
Lowest moment – having to stop and go to the bathroom and about 2 miles before that (should’ve stopped sooner)
Highest moment – everything after 10 miles (10 was my goal but I felt good by then so ran more)
Fastest mile – mile 4, 9:52
Slowest mile – mile 8, 12:19 (potty stop mile)
– Running the last part of a long run on the treadmill kind of sucks, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be. The Gilmore Girls is such a sweet little show and fun to relax to. What did people on treadmills do before Netflix?
– Getting a long run in by 8 a.m. is pretty awesome.
– Friends make everything better, even 5:30 a.m. runs.
– For some reason it is less scary running alone in the dark in the morning than it is at night, even though it’s equally dark.
– Re-running the same roads 2-3 times isn’t bothersome in the dark. I looped around a couple of times waiting for my friend, then ran a few loops around home. I didn’t want to get far away because I wasn’t feeling great and I had to be back at a specific time. I ran past the library 4 times and past my house 4-5 times.
– I like Swedish fish, but they aren’t as easy to eat while running as Jelly Bellies. The fish are too chewy and they stuck to my teeth. They are also a little too sweet or something…or maybe it was just that it was so early in the a.m. I didn’t feel like eating candy.
– Best post-run routine to date: snuggling on the couch eating cinnamon toast with Campbell.
Have you ever done part of a run outside and part on the treadmill? Have you ever tried Swedish fish as run fuel? What are your big Saturday plans?